Sunday, March 24, 2013

Beneficial Practices (Unit 8)

For the past weeks we were asked to explore numerous different meditation and visualization techniques and exercises and I found two of them to be very beneficial, some of them potentially beneficial (if I was going to practice them more), yet some were, and I'm sorry to say it bluntly like this, simply too out there for me at this point in my life.
The two exercises I feel might be, and will be in the future, the most beneficial to me are the subtle mind practice (unit 5) and the journey-on practice (unit 2), the reason being that I feel as if these two exercises kept it simple, I was merely asked to relax and not to imagine things (such as white lights or colors etc.). Since I feel that I am doing best with practices that help me relax and go within myself quietly, but not so much the ones that ask me to imagine or "do" things, I will continue to frequently listen to the Mp3's of "Journey-on" and "Subtle Mind Practice". I believe that it will be easy to implement these two practices into my daily schedule, because I am scheduling my "downtime" daily and have a steady rotation of meditations and visualization practices. The main benefit for me in continued practice will be a calming of my ever-moving mind, hopefully clearing the clutter of daily life and letting feelings of peace replace nervous habits and non-beneficial thoughts.

Dunja :)

The Beautiful Mt. Rainier in WA


3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the subtle mind one too. I feel like I am un-judged by it, even though the judgement really comes from within myself for not being able to focus like I feel some of the other exercises felt like I should. Do you feel like you will continue these exercises on beyond this class? Will you ever suggest this to future clients? I think, that in my future profession, these are holistic ways of healing. I may use them to help those who don't want to take medicinal routes or are looking for other options when things stop working for them. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I too liked the ones that we were not imagining things, I can relax better and it is more beneficial to me to focus on my breathing and relaxing. Thinking of other people was not so relaxing. I do like how I feel after meditating and will use this to help me slow down calm sown and to enjoy life a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha you know I am in the same boat (as usual) with you on this! I found many of the exercises to be just to "out there" for me...like you said, imagining lights coming out of people was too hard and distracting for me to follow. I understand the concept, and understand what we are suppose to get from the exercise, it just wasn't for me. I also liked subtle mind exercises because it was something I could use again in my everyday life to help overcome some of my inner turmoil. Did you do the "creative visualization" on page 144/145? It was part of the reading this week- and I can't remember if I read on the discussion board that you did that one! You may like it, I thought it was fun :)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete