Sunday, March 17, 2013

Meeting Aesclepius. Or didn't I?

Wise people and white lights were the focal points of the meditative exercise for this week, I listened to "Meeting Aesclepius" and made my observations. First I noticed that when asked to picture a wise person whom I respect, I pictured my late Grandfather. I wanted to focus on him, but I seemed to be unable to keep my focus there, I was also unable to truly picture his face (he's been gone 16 years now), instead I thought of memories we made together in my childhood. Then my mind began to wander, to my Mom, my Dad, then to wondering what they are up to and that I should call them. It was very hard for me to calm my mind at first, and honestly I had a hard time really doing as I was asked to; white lights coming out of heads and throats etc., for some reason I just didn't put it together, although I sure relaxed.
Honestly, here is something I must confess, something that I have been contemplating all along.  When the meditation time is up, I open my eyes immediately and feel totally refreshed, yet I ask myself all the time if I was actually sleeping? The refreshed feeling might be a clue to myself that I am not sleeping, because I am the worlds worst napper and even 20 minutes leave me grumpy and hungover of sorts, therefore I never nap unless I can devote two or more hours to it. This weeks meditation was just like that, I relaxed and "let go" if that's what it could be called. My mind was still and yet I was observant, because I heard my kids bumping around upstairs even though they were supposed to be in bed sleeping, I was in a state of witnessing I believe. I don't think that I really know yet how to put it all together, the sleeping-or-waking part at least, I do know however, that I really enjoy putting my mind at rest like this for a small amount of time per day and look forward to continuing that. I think that meditation or even simple mindfulness practice has given me a new sense of calm and continues to do so anytime I choose, that is something hard-earned for me, as I am go, go, go all the time. Currently I am on day 7 of the Deepak Chopra Meditation challenge and this time around it is themed "Whole Health, Mind, Body and Spirit". Coincidental or not, it is very enjoyable and a subject I definitely plan on exploring further.

The saying "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" is one of my favorites, it has so many applications everywhere and everyday, especially in the health care field. How can an obese dietician be trusted to hand out sound nutritional advice? How can a psychologist "treat" an unwell person, if he or she is mentally unwell himself/herself? Is it possible for a physically unfit personal trainer to get an out-of-shape individual in the best shape of their life? I think it may be possible under very rare, select circumstances and yet highly unlikely. It is important for health care professionals to lead the way, to set an example and show patients that there is a healthy way, that there are alternatives and that in the end it will all be worth it. As professionals we have the obligation (not just to only ourselves, but also our patients and clients), to get and stay in shape, mentally, physically, and spiritually. Whole body health is very important and the failure to take care of all aspects of health and well being will lead to setbacks and discontent, closely followed by disillusionment.

I have been there and done that, I trained hard to get in the best physical shape of my life, only to lose it again when I burned out completely and took an enormous break and step back. The reevaluation of my goals took two years to complete and I needed this time to think about my mistakes and realize that I had not failed in my previous endeavors; I had just gone about things the wrong way and in the end my failures proved to be great sources of learning. One of the greatest things about failure and setbacks is the opportunity for realization and growth. My goal for the future is to expand on my spiritual growth by exploring mindfulness and meditation further, I also want to participate in yoga and keep myself mentally fit by continuing my education and studying other cultures, especially of interest to me is the religion of Buddhism. Physically I am now well on my way to regaining my strength and physical fitness, this time the smart and slow way, this way it is for keeps and to set an example and be an inspiration for not only my family and friends, but also for potential clients and even strangers.

Dunja :)

Relax.






7 comments:

  1. I appreciate your honesty about the exercise and what you experienced. I had just the opposite experience. I was immediately able to focus on CHRIST and experienced the light from the throat and the scripture Proverbs 18:21 immediately came to mind; Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. When the exercise got to the white light from the forehead, the scripture Isaiah 55:8 immediately came to mind; For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. I WAS SO at peace and warm inside the white light when it encompassed me that I did not want to come back to the room and I admittedly stayed in his presence for quite some time after the exercise was over. I applaud your efforts to want to continue your practices and explore your interest in Buddhism.

    I agree with you and I share your experience. I am still battling the bulge but I am losing it the smart way now, a little at a time. I have learned to make better food choices, the importance of portion control, building lean muscle, the benefits of cardio exercise, etc. In other words, I am slowly changing my lifestyle so that when I have lost the 100 pounds, I don't have to worry about them coming back. As a health and wellness professional I have to practice what I preach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, I am so glad that you had such a wonderful experience this week in our meditation! You are surely a woman of faith and it shows in your great knowledge of the bible and the parallels you are able to draw. Furthermore, it is always so nice to hear from someone that they are not looking at loosing weight through a diet, but a lifestyle change in its truest form. You are doing it the smart way and no way is too long for the journey you are on, for you will arrive eventually and in your own time and it will all be worth it. :)

      Dunja

      Delete
  2. It is always interesting to read your posts. You are a good writer and I sometimes feel like these exercises are are so relaxing that I could drift off to sleep, however I never do. I thought this exercise was nice, calming and reassuring that life does not have to be rushed. We can take the time to relax and enjoy life. I am looking forward to June 25th when I graduate because I will have a summer to relax and focus on me a little more. I need time to enjoy life and my family! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,

      wow, you are almost there then! I am just a little envious, but only a little as I enjoy school actually. I have another year left, but admittedly I am taking it very slow to make sure I have enough time for family, work and other obligations. Glad the meditation this week found you relaxing. I enjoyed it too, only the white lights seemed to be hard for me.

      Happy Week!
      Dunja :)

      Delete
  3. As always, I love reading your blog. Your honesty about the exercies is very relatable for me, because I often feel the same as you do about things. I didn't like the "white light" part either so I just tried to focus on thinking about it being more of an energy instead. I think it's wonderful that you were able to relax like that while doing that meditation. I feel the same way, that I can't quite put it all together, but there are pieces and parts that do make sense. Maybe this is all part of learning~little by little, we start understanding the pieces, and hopefully in the end we will be able to put it all together!

    :) Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz,

      I had to smile, thank you for complimenting my blog, I am fairly new to this, but I do love to write in the sense that I usually write what comes to mind. Just as in real life I rarely mince words and somehow it comes across as I mean it to - honest! :)
      We will all understand our spirituality better as we age I am sure, not certain how much practice I will get in the future about the things Dacher recommends, but I am sure I will continue meditating.

      Thanks for reading my blog and taking the time to comment!

      Have a great week,
      Dunja :)

      Delete
  4. Dunja,
    You had me laughing big time and I had to share your observations with my fiancé. I have found myself in the same predicament from time to time. Quieting the mind seems to be the hardest part of all of these exercises - at least until we are asked to picture white lights emanating from various portions of our loved ones necks. It was a task to concentrate, but once I finally did, I managed to feel the benefits of all that concentration. I partly attribute that to my memories and feelings of my loved one (also my grandfather). Whatever the reason, I too enjoy the relaxation time and mini nap. :)

    ReplyDelete